Big John (wackdaddy) wrote,
Big John

Thanksgiving Weekend

Thanksgiving went well.

By the time Poppy & I got to Maureen & Kevin's after a 2 hour drive, they were breaking out the champagne to accompany some appetizers. I had some beer after the champagne was gone, and soon after that Kevin started making specialty martinis. I had a pair of sour appletinis. Yummy.

So I had a pretty good buzz going when they asked around for a volunteer to carve the turkey. I've got 19 years experience as a cook, so I got chosen to volunteer. Maybe the alcohol kept me from thinking about it too much, because I suprised myself at how well the turkey got sliced. Everyone else was impressed, too. I cut off the legs and wings first, then removed each side of breast meat and sliced it, keeping it in its original shape. Then the breasts, legs and wings were arranged on a platter to serve. Kevin's brother was particulary impressed. "The breast meat's been sliced already?", he asked as he poked at it with a fork. A few slices fell down, dominoes-style. "Wow, it didn't even look like it was cut yet!"

Along with the turkey, we also had roast beef, 2 types of stuffing, 2 types of gravy, mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts, green bean casserole, carrots, cornbread, and of course cranberry sauce. I also had a few glasses of wine during dinner.

Then came dessert.
I took a second shot at the disastrous Harvest Cake (see previous post) and it came out perfectly. But it couldn't compete with my stepdaughter's pumpkin pie with ice cream, whipped cream and caramel sauce.
To accompany dessert, Kevin offered Port. I always thought Port was just a type of wine, but it's a combination of wine and brandy. It had a nice bite to it.

We played the Scene It! DVD game until my alcoholic haze wore off. Then we headed to our hotel in Nanuet for the night. Got there about 10:45pm. Unfortunately, I forgot to make sure that we reserved a handicap-accessible room, so Poppy had to walk up a flight of stairs to get to our 2nd floor room. Lucky he isn't stuck in a wheelchair yet, but his legs keep getting weaker. I would have made a fuss, but it was late and we were exhausted.

I had every intention of getting up at an early hour to go to work on Friday, even if it meant getting there late. But that didn't happen. At home, we have a queen size Select Comfort "sleep number" bed and keep the bedroom pretty cool at night. The hotel room had a double bed with a worn, lumpy mattress and we kept the room warm for my father-in-law. It was one of those nights where you know it's going to be a "long night", but in the morning it wasn't long enough.

Friday morning, we headed back to M&K's house for a brunch in honor of our granddaughter's birthday. We had a brie soufflé and bacon. Quite delicious.

In the afternoon, MaryAnn & I had a short visit with my daughter in Chestnut Ridge. It was nice to see her again.

Back home on Saturday, Nicky & Gianna came over and helped me get all the Christmas stuff out of storage. And they really did help! I was glad that I didn't have to squeeze into the crawl space to get the 12 plastic bins and assorted boxes and bags of all MA's christmas decorations.

I spent most of Sunday working outdoors. My friend Tom came over and helped me rearrange the shed. The pool stuff which pretty much got tossed in there at the end of September was organized, and we managed to fit all the patio furniture in the shed (2 tables, 1 serving table, 4 lounge chairs, 4 metal chairs, 10 plastic chairs, and cantilever umbrella with stand) with room to spare!
Then I cleaned up leaves until it was dark, but I didn't get anywhere close to finished.

Less than 1 month til Christmas! AAAAAAAAaaahhhhhhhgggh!!!
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 1 comment